Saturday, December 29, 2018

Benjamin Franklin on faith, hope and love: "My belief induces me to hope, though I must not presume, that the same goodness will still be exercised toward me"

"...it would not be altogether absurd if a man were to thank God for his vanity among the other comforts of life. And now I speak of thanking God, I desire with all humility to acknowledge that I owe the mentioned happiness of my past life to His kind providence, which lead me to the means I used and gave them success. My belief of this induces me to hope, though I must not presume, that the same goodness will still be exercised toward me, in continuing that happiness, or enabling me to bear a fatal reverse, which I may experience as others have done; the complexion of my future fortune being known to Him only in whose power it is to bless to us even our afflictions."
Benjamin Franklin Autobiography, 1789



Joseph Duplessis [Public domain]





           faith 
                      hope 
                                  love 





No comments:

Post a Comment